Teaching myself a Lesson.


Friday, January 7, 2011

I'm a ridiculously meticulous planner. A HUGE planner. So New Years Resolutions for me are the icing to my cake. I can't get enough! I just keep piling the goal frosting on. This year's resolutions are a bit different for me. I think the only tangible goals I have are to 1) lose the baby weight and 2) watch documentaries with JO about war, history, the planet and stuff. That was a goal we had our first year of marriage and we rocked it, so we decided to bring it back again this year. Oh, and visit all the museums LA has to offer.
 
But this year my main goal is to own the principle of "FAITH." Don't you hate those people who are Debby Downers? Well, there's nothing worse than when the Debby Downer in your life is yourself. I never considered myself a faithless person until recently. I've become aware that I spend a majority of my time over-planning the future and doubting possibilities rather than trusting in the Lord that everything will work out. I guess I'm not a patient person. I've always struggled with that because I equate patience with laziness - just sitting around and I'm a person of action. I have never viewed patience in a positive light until 2 days ago when I was walking trying to start this thing they call labor and I was listening to Elder Uchtdorf's talk about patience. He said:

“Patience is not passive resignation, nor is it failing to act because of our fears. Patience means active waiting and enduring. It means staying with something and doing all that we can—working, hoping, and exercising faith; bearing hardship with fortitude, even when the desires of our hearts are delayed.”

This will be a hard one for me, but I'm teaching myself a lesson. It's always good to be your own teacher. But all the above is not to say that life is terrible - it is quite the contrary! I have never been happier.

Only 16 more days people! 
{Hopefully less, as I'm trying some of these nonsense labor inducing methods.}

2 comments:

  1. My only advice with trying these labor-inducing methods--DO NOT TRY CASTOR OIL!!! Been there, done that one (yes, I made my husband take it with me so he knew what it was like). Although it did give me contractions, and I did go to the hospital the night that I took it, it was false labor. They sent me home. Once the time comes-- GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY PUSHING :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kendra
    I listened to Elder Uchtdorf's talk on Sunday and it was exactly what i needed to hear. It hit close to home. I feel like i'm usually a happy positive person. Although, just recently ive been that "Debby Downer" that no one likes. I dunno if its that blatantly obvious to everyone else, but i can pick it up and its annoying. I'm annoying myself! I cant see you being that way either. You are always upbeat and a fun loving person who ive always looked up to. Anyways, listening to his words was a humbling experience and one i absolutely needed to hear. Faith; Easier said than done, which makes for a perfect goal for this year! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete