love/hate relationship


Tuesday, July 19, 2011

I like pinterest. I really do. It is such a fantastic venue for me to organize all the wonderful things on the web. However, I cannot think of something I despise more than pinterest right now. Let's name the reasons why, shall we:

1. waste of too much precious time. When Evelyn is awake I think of all the things that I need to get done but the moment she goes down I find myself plopped in front of the screen, scrolling through people's pins.

2. diminished self-worth. Do you know how emotionally taxing it is to see so much talent in one place to remind you that you don't have that crafting ability, that artistic knack, that fashion style, etc? It can make one want to cut her hand off and maybe set herself on fire [Harold and Maude reference].

3. creativity stealer. I feel like my brain doesn't have to be creative anymore because pinterest does the thinking for me. I liked when my brain was my center for innovation, not my pinboard.

4. uniquely un-unique. An idea that was once an original is now reproduced by the masses. I bet if you walked in to any given house you would find chevron print on pillows, rugs, curtains, lampshades, dogs. Everyone on pinterest is obsessed with chevron. Nothing is unique anymore. If I see someone walking down the street with a braid running around the back of her head I won't think "Wow, that's a neat way to style your hair." Instead I'll think "Sucka! You didn't come up with that. That's a pin job all the way." Rude, I know.

5. re-pinning. I re-pin. I think there are so many things out there that people do that I would never think of - things that would be helpful for me or interest me in the future. But with that re-pinning comes an endless list of things that I need "to do." For me, the more I pin the more overwhelmed I get. I guess I just need to give myself some perspective and not use pinterest as my dreamboat and pin every JCrew shirt and Anthropolgie chair.

With all that being said, I love pinterest. I will probably never make it go away. You will probably find Chevron print in my house, the craze of smores bars baking in my oven, and my hair twisted in 3 small buns. Because other people do have awesome ideas. and I'm probably just jealous I didn't think of it first.

4 comments:

  1. I can't get on pinterest because I'm not on facebook. Sad but true. Thanks for writing this post- now I don't feel like I'm missing out. And I can be me and create in the way that I want to- which was the idea all along, I'd say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no interest in pinterest. Probably for all the reasons you listed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahh! i am torn, i hear from everyone and thier mother how incredible it is. i know if i get started i will be a pintrest slave. it’s so true though, i feel like i have no creativity after all these crafty ladies post cute things on thier blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kendra-what video editing program do you use? my sister asked me to make a video montage for her wedding so I am just doing pictures to music, but have no idea what program to use. Any advice?
    kileyj18@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete